28 August 2011

Summer Housekeepin'

This summer I was lucky enough to revisit the job I had two summers ago. And by the title of this post, it's not too hard to figure what that job was. Yes, housekeeping.

Basically, over the summer my school rents out the dorms in the same form like a hotel. Many church retreats, interest groups and sports camps utilize our school's facilities and stay in the apartment-dorms that we have at Sonoma State. I feel that I should also throw in that my (now former) school apparently has the #1 rated college dorms in the country - weirdly, something to be proud of since the dorms are pretty legit. So where do I fit into this equation...? Basically, myself and the rest of the student housekeepers come in and clean the rooms so you wouldn't know anyone was there before you and make beds (which included any and all bed issues) and well as changing towels and making sure toiletries and any other basics were stocked in the rooms.

What was really my favorite part of it - because let's be honest here the job sucks but the pay kept me coming back - was the group of people I got to work with. The way the job worked was that they put you in groups of about 6-8 people and that'd be your team and as a unit we'd go into the several rooms we were assigned for the day and get the job done. From basically the first week we clicked and it was just hilarity all around. We somehow ended up being the hardest workers even though it seemed like we were fucking around most of the time, but it all just seemed to work. My coworkers, all SEVEN of them, helped me have one of the BEST summers of my college life and made my last few months at college (and away from home) memorable in so many ways. I feel like all I did this summer at work was make beds and watch YouTube videos, some which became part of our everyday talk at work. One thing is for sure, I miss them greatly since I pretty much got used to seeing them on a daily basis. Visits to them are DEFINITELY  in store.

There are many pictures I can share on here that demonstrate exactly how disgusting the job was at times, but  for now, I'm just going to post my favorite picture that we took on the job (minus 3 of my co-workers)


No comments:

Post a Comment