13 April 2015

F·R·I·E·N·D·S Recaps Coming Soon.


A couple of years ago, I decided that I wanted to watch the entire "Friends" series from beginning to end. Back in the day when it was originally in, I didn't get into the game until it went into syndication — this was about the time that Ross was saying Rachel instead of Emily. I'd pretty much seen all the episodes at least two to three times, but that doesn't mean that I didn't forget the existence of an episode and have it be hilarious all over again, not to say that all the episodes aren't still either funny or sad still. One thing that should be mentioned is that my husband loves the show and had all the seasons, which is why I thought I'd give it a go. Also, 25 minute episodes isn't too much of a time commitment, I could at least get one watched everyday OR maybe 6-8 episodes on a day off.

I eventually popped in that first DVD of the first season and let the laughter begin. Imagine my surprise when I get towards the second half of the second season and the disc starts to skip right around the time Ross and Rachel are finally getting together, let alone finding that the disc with the last episodes of that season is missing! I missed all of Monica and Richard!! (This is new because of the titles of the episodes on the case within the case of the second season. Same thing happened in season 4: Disc 4 was missing but there were two copies of Disc 3 -- LIKE WHY!? Season 5 and 6 which are the definitely the best IMO was smooth sailing, then season 7, the disc with the first episodes is gone. Season 8 and 9 were okay, couple of episodes were skipping here and there. Lots of skipping in season 10 and then the last 3 episodes weren't even there, because why you might ask? Oh, that's right, the disc was missing! I think it's safe to say that my husband isn't be best keeper of DVDs -- I mean I shouldn't have been surprised considering how well he takes care of his CD's 0____0

So, I'm sure you can see that I have no closure with the show and feel like I missed some great stuff because I had to skip entire discs because they were either missing or too scratched to play some or all of the episodes they contained. I'm sure you could also guess how excited I was to learn last year that Netflix was going to start streaming THE WHOLE SERIES. I was like "YES! I CAN NOW WATCH THE MISSING EPISODES!" Now that it's April, I've seen some of them, but it's not the same, so I think I'm going to give it a go and try to go through the whole thing again. Along with watching it again, I think I'll do some sort of recap of them as well. I remember during my first go through, I'd be watching an episode and would have commentary but no one to say it to. It ranged from observations of what had changed in the sets episode to episode, a character being crazy and stupid, and well, whether they were all pivoting that couch correctly. I plan on doing the same thing I tried doing a few years ago. I'll  use my husband's DVD's yo watch the episodes I can and then switch to Netflix to fill in the blank spaces -- or more like to make up for the fucked up DVDs. I'm going to try and mainly stick to the DVD's because some of the episodes I've seen on Netflix are edited and missing some of the jokes which I read is because Netflix has the episodes as they "originially aired" backed in the day. I mean, who cares? I want all the laughs. I know I've seen those full episodes during re-runs, so I'm used to them. I will be sure to let you know when I watch a Netflix episode in case anyone is following along with me.

I'm excited that I'll be able to do that. Maybe I can try and solve the mystery as to whether Ross and Rachel were really on a break -- not that you couldn't probably find countless debates about that online already but I'll throw my two cents in anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment